Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What Held Christ on the Cross?

HOW DEEP THE FATHER’S LOVE FOR US
Stuart Townend
Copyright © 1995 Thankyou Music
.
How deep, the father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure.
How great the pain of searing loss –
The Father turns His face away,
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
Bring many sons to glory.
.
Behold the man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders;
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers.
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished;
His dying breath has brought me life –
I know that it is finished.
.
I will not boast in anything,
No gifts, no power, no wisdom;
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
His death and resurrection.
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer;
But this I know with all my heart –
His wounds have paid my ransom.
.
This hymn by the British hymnist Stewart Townend has been a blessing to me since the first time I sang it. It opened up the richness of the cross to my heart in a fresh new way. Tim Challies, perhaps the most widely read evangelical blogger, recently posted his reflections on just one line of this beautiful hymn that caught his mind while singing this song during a communion service. It was a blessing to me and I wanted to bring it to you. You can read the article HERE.
---
If you would like to read the author's words on writing this hymn, click HERE.
---
If you would like to hear the author speak to the importance of modern hymnody for the church today and the importance of Hymns in the Worship and thoughtlife of christians from October 5, 2005, download files from HERE.
--
I love this hymn, maybe I'll have a post forthcoming on the intricacies and precision of the propositions in this hymn. That would be fun!
May God continue to bless you all.

No comments: